Accepting and Acceptance

Many of you that read my posts and follow my thoughts might think that I have come to accept and embrace my alopecia and baldness. This is not necessary the case. I do accept that I have an autoimmune disease but this in not acceptance into a world of it and the results of it. I have just come to love myself enough to not let society's perceptions to influence me or to punish myself with harsh treatments anymore. This is me, my baldness is a symbol of who I am; the strength I have learned to find in myself.  For this maybe it is a form of accepting my baldness.  But it is also more than that.  Cause I know that the person I have found in my bald reflection will continue to be there if tomorrow my hair would suddenly return.  Hair or no hair I could no longer quiet my voice I have found or the strength that I have learned from my journey thus far.
All of us have something in our lives, whether is a disease we must overcome, or a situation we struggle with.  Some of us are "lucky" enough to have many "things" going on.  Physical, emotional, and spiritual.   Myself, I continue to work on all these things.  And it is work, I don't just take one step further and stop.  Life is not like that.  You are in constant motion.  I take steps further in this journey of life but I realize that there is steps back.  And you will too.  I make my choices for myself and not for others.  The choices that best work for me, that holds true to my heart. 

There is a line in a film that I often reach for when I find myself struggling. "To live in fear is to live a half life." - Strictly Ballroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment