Finding My Purpose: Growing Into Who I am As A Bald Woman

 

“If I can prevent this from happening to any other little girl...”  That’s what I use to say in the early years living with alopecia areata.  I hated this disease. It took away my identity as well as my hair. It was my dark shameful little secret for so much of my life.

Needless to say a lot has changed over the course of nearly forty years.

I was first diagnosed with alopecia areata when I was about 9 years old.  Mom took me to our dermatologist hoping to find out why I was losing my hair in patches.  There wasn’t a lot of information back in the eighties concerning alopecia and we left that day with a diagnosis of that I was too stressed; that was why my hair was falling out and a bottle of Rogaine.  After that I remember so many “helpful” tips from family to not only to grow my hair but how to hide the bald spots.  Mom did the best for me even with everyone chiming in with their opinions. It was these helpful opinions that would haunt me for years to come.

I was a shy child growing up, and school was tough as a chubby kid.  I played alone more often than not.  My younger brother had more friends than I did.   I did make school friends but nothing that ever stuck into lasting relationships.

And when alopecia entered my life it made perfect sense to keep those kids at bay.  Especially when the hair loss became extensive enough that wearing a wig was a necessity.  That was a particularly difficult time.  I finished the previous year of school with thinning hair to the next semester with a full head of synthetic hair. I remember one cruel day when walking the hall to my next class and someone actually ripping off my wig, all the kids were laughing, pointing and calling out “wiggy”.  I had to bend down in the hall to pick up my wig off the floor.

Thankfully I only wore that wig for one year.  The fates would have it that my hair was to grow back.  I lived that alopecia period as something that had happened.  It was in the past, a childhood thing that I moved on with.  But it was not so; life is funny that way sometimes.  High school and my twenties saw me hiding still; I would get a bald spot or two that I would cleverly hide with hair styles.  I always kept my hair long just so I would have something to use to cover up spots as they came and went.  I still never talked about living with alopecia; only family and the closest of friends would know about it. 

I was still a shy person as I entered adulthood, never wanting to get too close with people.  I still had a weight issue and had my own personal load of insecurities.  There was a period of time when I turned 24 that I entered a really low period of depression and suicidal thoughts.  It was just after my parents broke up for the second time.  They first divorced when I was just a couple years old and I grew up not really knowing my father.  After many years; when my brother and I were teenagers; they tried a second time.

 I was 23 when they broke up, living on my own in my first apartment.  My father had confronted me on the breakup.  I remember saying that I was ok with it, I was an “adult”, and if this will make them happier then it was for the best.  I remember saying to him that I don’t need my parents together to have a relationship with them.  Sounds pretty grown up, doesn’t it??   But it was exactly how I felt.  They gave it a try twice and it just wasn’t meant to be. 

Unfortunately that is not how my father saw it.  He told me that if I wasn’t willing to put them back together then I could “get the hell out of his life”.  Those words still ring in my ears today after so many years, and that was the last time we spoke.

With that I spiralled into a dark depression for a couple years.  Blessedly mom was always there, she was my rock and with the help of a couple really close friends I slowly saw the days brighter.

It was during this time that I was spending a lot of time at a horse boarding facility and I connected with some wonderful people.  People that shared the same love and passion for horses, which I had for my own horse.  It was here that I made close friends that I trusted myself to lean on.  I still have those friends today.

I still remember what that doctor had said when I was first diagnosed, that I was too stressed.  But that entire time of my depression I did not lose any hair.  I still had my alopecia secret intact.  So much for stress causing my hair loss.

It was a few years later that my alopecia areata decided to return to my life.  I was in my later twenties and I started noticing more hair in the bathtub drain and in my hair brush.  I was always so careful, checking for any new spots, treating what came up. This time it was different. 

Getting on the internet was easier as well at this time.  I started researching alopecia for the first time.  I learnt that it was an autoimmune disease, which funny enough apparently can be triggered by stress.  I started finding support groups, and since growing up with alopecia this was completely new to me.  Up to this point I never knew another person with this disease.  All the years going to the dermatologist to treat my alopecia; I never recognised another alopecian there or saw any literature or support groups notices.

Statistically speaking approximately 2% of the world’s population has a form of alopecia.  I also learned that there were different types of alopecia. Alopecia areata being the type of bald spots on the scalp which I grew up having to the most extreme version, alopecia universalis which is complete hair loss on the body and scalp.  This is what I now live with.

As my alopecia progressed I went to my doctors monthly, and started aggressive treatments, mostly consisting of corticosteroid injections to the scalp.  During the worst of the treatments I was getting close to 100 injections at a time. We also threw in the occasional lotion, potion and any other treatment that would grow my hair back.  I felt like a human pincushion; which also played on my mental health. 

This is when I decided that if I could possibly prevent any other child from going through what I went through with this disease then I was going to do it.  With the help of doctors and the various support groups and actually speaking to others with alopecia, I started to feel my voice and how I can help bring awareness to a disease that is not often spoken about and holds so much shame.

I started with a Facebook page and adding my journey with alopecia in blog posts.  I stood in the middle of the baseball diamond at a local game to speak about alopecia.  I had articles written in local papers and spoken on the radio.  All in the name of awareness.  I wanted the world to know that alopecia existed and not to have another child be scared.  I was standing on my little soap box.

It wasn’t til I had other people come up to me sharing their stories; stories that often times had nothing to do with alopecia, that something changed in my narrative.  I found myself listening and empathising.  I was growing and learning to see there was a much bigger picture out there in the world. 

We all have our own story, as different and as unique as we all individually are.  These journeys make up who we are.  We each deserve to share our story, to have someone to hear us and understand.  It’s more than sharing my alopecia story and bringing awareness to this disease.  It’s still about how to help that little girl going through alopecia, but it’s not about preventing it anymore.

Yes a cure one day would be fabulous!  But until that day preventing is more about sharing, not feeling alone, about connecting with a community that understands what if feels like going through a difficult time.  Whether that is alopecia, depression, cancer, or anything else that this world throws at us.  To know that you are not alone; even if my story is different than yours; we share a commonality in the struggle, the acceptance and the growth.

My journey into alopecia may have started with hiding and then bringing awareness to this one topic but it has definitely grown into something much larger. With living with this disease I learned how to tap into an inner strength I didn’t know I possessed.  I still speak out and write.  I live openly bald and am still overweight; but now with no thought to what others think. I have people come up to me asking did I shave for someone with cancer but I also have them ask if it is alopecia. To me this is progress.  I have moved to the other side of the world, I have found love with a man that loves and supports me just the way I am.  I have even recently been on podcasts to share my thoughts. My plans are on doing even more.

 I know now today that this is my purpose; to show and share with others.  I listen with a compassionate heart with others.   I am grateful that this once hated disease, this once shameful dark secret is no longer.  And I am also grateful for what it has taught me about the world and about myself.







No comments:

Post a Comment