Can We Talk ?

When you love someone, truly love someone you have to work on the relationship constantly.  Its like every relationship you enter in to.  From personal to professional, you must be aware of changes, problems, and emotions and you must be willing to share whats on your mind.  Like a best friend ( and isn't your mate not your best friend ) you confine in them, you tell them if something is bothering you or some change that is going on.  To hold it in and not share is to actively sabotage your relationship.
And when you add distance to the scenario the need to be open and communicate is even more important.
This is what I have learned in recent months and over the years, with my relationship.  The man that I have been involved with for the last 4 1/2 years was one that developed out of friendship.  Neither one of us looking for more than just someone to talk to.  As we got to know each other what started from friendship developed into stronger feelings.  Although neither one of us admitted it to the other until 5 months ago.  This is a man that I truly love.  Like nothing else I experienced in my life.  He is not only been a confindant and best friend all these years but we share so many similarities and I truly believe he is my soulmate.
But like any relationship, it hasnt been all sunshine and roses.  We have had misunderstandings.  Misunderstandings coming from the frustrations at the inablitity to not to be together.  Wanting to spend as much time together talking but while living in opposite time zones.  Its only through communicating openly and not holding back have we been able to work them out.  Always promising that we will continue to fight for us.  I know from my side this is something, a relationship that I will fight to keep.  After all these years he is my best friend, I have shared so much with him, alot that I havent shared with anyone else.  To do anything less would hurt too much.  I have my demons, fears that come from being let down in the past.  But I trust him and I trust knowing that what we have built  from a friendship was truthful from the beginning.
If this is an example of how we will handle things in the future; and a future that has us no longer separated by distance...... then I believe we will be a success story.  All relationships are a growing entity, you cannot enter a relationship thinking that it will always be sunshine and roses, there will always be issues that arise.  Its being honest with each other, sharing your thoughts, your worries and concerns; that makes things work.

No comments:

Post a Comment