Sometimes ignoring is healthy

You know that moment when you feel your hackles rise because at some point someone has done you wrong and you have to continue to deal with them.  We have all been there.  We get defensive at the mere sight of them.  All you can think about is what they said that hurt you or what they did to you.  Most times we are able to just ignore them and write them off out of your life.  But there are those times where you can’t escape them.  Maybe because they are a family member or they are a co worker.  Been there, done that, on both counts. 
Having walked this alopecia journey and many other adversities that have come my way.  It’s easy to say to ignore what happened and pretend like it’s alright.  But it’s a completely different matter to actually do it. 
These are some skills I read upon that I decided to try.  I needed to try it for myself, not of the other parties and their opinion on the matter.  Forget what they think, I had to be concern for my mental healing.  So this is what I started doing.  I behave in a matter that all past transgressions never happened; I put it in my mind to block them out.  Not forgetting them completely.  Cause lets face it we are only human and forgetting that someone hurt you will open you up to be hurt by them yet again. 

So essentially what I tell myself before speaking with the other party is ..... OK so I know you hurt me and destroyed any trust I can have for you, but I will for the sake of my mental health greet you like it never happened.  It doesn't matter that I get no response.  This doesn't mean I will let my guard down and welcome them back.  But I won’t let the situation of having to talk with them ruin my day or my mood.  This allows you to regain the power over your emotions.  They might wonder why the change of moods on your part, but most likely they are so consumed with their own lives they won’t notice.  But you walk away feeling empowered that you weren't going to let them take away your positivity.  So far its work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment