My Year of Yoga

January 5, 2015
This is me. Im a 39 year old overweight woman that has been living with alopecia since she was 8 years old.  I have faced bullying in those early years of having alopecia, learning to hide the bald spots in my teenage years through to the day when I was 35 that I finally stopped and shaved it off. In hiding my alopecia I learned how to put up many walls in order not to be hurt.  In doing so I didn't and still don’t have many people that I would consider close friends.  Im in a long term, long distance relationship with a man whom I love completely and have known for nearly 6 years.  He also lives literally on the other side of the world from me. We met playing poker one night on Facebook, and fast became friends.  We have met in person twice and now planning a future and a wedding together.  I still battle my weight and try to exercise and eat healthy daily.  Or course I am human with many flaws so I do fail at the healthy choices occasionally.  I have given myself a new challenge this year, part of my new year’s resolution, that being “my year of yoga”.  This being the fifth day of January, I have missed my practice one day.  Being so early on in my resolution I took this pretty hard at first but then I decided that I was allowed to miss the occasional day so long as I stayed true and honest to the practice itself.  Meaning that when I did a yoga session I did it true and not just go through the motions to get it done.  I have been practising yoga on and off for about a year now and find it rewarding both physically and mentally.  In that time I have found changes already in myself; I stand taller, even with the extra weight I carry I see changes in my body...I am leaner and stronger.  Other changes also show that I don’t hold on to my anger or frustrations as long as I use to.  And believe me I use to hold on to them for a long time.  I still get angry or frustrated or emotional, after all I am female. But when I come home from a bad day and I do some yoga I become much more relaxed.

 This here will be the account of what I learn about yoga, meditation, myself and others.  Enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment