Just A Bump In The Road


One year ago today I went for my medical for my Australia visa; not only was this day much awaited and anticipated but the course of the day was anxiety filled and crazy.

I have waited to get the go ahead to take my medical for months and I knew that this was one of the final stages that I had to do for my PMV (prospective marriage visa); the other being my police clearance.  I had carefully booked my appointments for this day, scheduling it around my work schedule.  I had everything mapped out and planned; that was until my jeep decided it needed to go in for service.  I brought it in 2 days before I had to make the 3.5 hour trip to the approved visa panel doctor; it was later that day that I got the call from the shop that the parts needed were going to take an extra day to come in; therefore leaving me car-less for my trip.  This was not an appointment that I could just reschedule as I had waited months to get this one; so this left me having to get a rental.

The morning that I left for my appointment it was pouring down, so much so that when I walked into my kitchen to get a coffee there was a puddle on the floor from a leak in the ceiling.  So this was the way that my day was going to begin; a ceiling leak, driving 3.5 hours in a downpour in a rental car.   So after I got ready to leave and after telling my landlord about the leak, I headed down the highway, barely able to see the road in front of me. 

While on my drive down I got the call from the mechanic telling me about my jeep, it seems that there was more going on with it; and it was going to cost me royally.  I felt my anxiety rise with each mile I covered and my temper going with it.  I was losing control of my emotions and thoughts, to me at that precise moment the world was coming to an end; how the hell was I going to afford all this?  The medical, the rental car, the repairs to my jeep and the potential damage to my home; I seriously thought that I would come home and see the ceiling on the floor; as ludicrous as this sounds now.  I even called my mom and my fiancĂ© to rage out my frustrations; causing them hurt in the process and feeling frustrated with me.

And my day was getting even better, as I got into the city and was trying to find my way around, the exit I needed off the highway had an accident at the ramp; therefore I was stuck in traffic and when I finally got through the traffic and made my way to the doctor’s office it was to find that I was in the middle of Chinatown at lunchtime.  There was no parking to be found and I had to walk in the rain blocks away from where I needed to go.  The doctor’s office was located in a mall that just so happened to be closed and locked for a lunch break; which had me sit outside the office in the halls of the mall, with passer-bys and children screaming.  By this point I was done, I was ready to call the whole thing off and go home, I was beyond frustrated.  And when I finally got into see this special panel doctor to approve my medical for my visa, I was insulted further.  It was the first time in my life that a doctor actually said to me that I was “FAT”.  Yes I know that I am, and I have had doctors mention that I should start a weight loss program, it is something that I have had issues with my entire life, but to be told that I am fat by a professional.  That was it, that was the final straw for me that day; I had to pay $300 for this treatment.

And I wasn’t even done for the day yet, I was then on my way to the next appointment for the x-rays that was also needed for this visa medical.  A lot of hoop jumping for one little piece of paper to allow me into a country that I had already visited.  It was at the next office that I found out that the third part of the medical would need to be done at yet another office and which they only do by appointments.  It was for my blood work; the receptionist there said that I may get lucky on a walk in and since I was out already and it was nearby that I decided to try it.  Besides if I decided to go back to my own doctor for the blood work, it would take 2 weeks for the tests to get back to the panel doctor and then sent to immigration.  At this point what did I have to lose?  When I got to the lab the receptionist there said that they were closing shortly and for visa medicals the blood work needed to be done by appointment only.  I guess it was the look on my face and despair I felt that had the receptionist take pity on me; she said that since it was currently quiet that she will slip me in.  That was when all the frustrations of the day finally burst through my eyes and I started crying, I couldn’t believe that I had finally caught a break in the day.  The sun had finally come out. 

Now was the time that I had long awaited, time to go home, to make the long drive home, made twice as long since I was now leaving during rush hour traffic which came with accidents at almost every exit that I needed to take to get on the highway.  Looking at the time I knew that I was not going to get the rental car back before they close for the day.  I made the call to find if they had an after-hours drop, which I was informed that they did BUT it would still cost me an extra day rental since the drop wouldn’t be recorded til the next day.  GREAT …WONDERFUL …. Another charge to an already expensive day.  I did finally make it home and to no damage to my home and everything did dry up. 

What started as a day that I believe was the worse day, as a day where I believed the world hated me and karma was definitely not on my side.  Today I look back at it that it was just a bump in this journey to get me where I am today.  Here with my husband, loving and living in Australia.  Was it worth it?  Yes because I’m where I belong.  Did this experience teach me anything?  Most definitely, I do survive and get through anything that sets up roadblocks in my life.  And it was this day too that taught me that overreacting and getting angry and frustrated and screaming and hurting those that I love with my frustrated words doesn’t change the things that are actually happening but it does impact and hurts the people around me and most importantly it impacts and hurts myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment